Friday, July 8, 2011

Strawberry Syrup Recipe Comparisions

 
Thanks to picking a million 17 pounds of strawberries, I had to find plenty of uses before having to freeze the leftovers (as you may have noticed the handful of strawberry related posts lately). I wanted to try and make my own strawberry syrup. Google magic. First I tried this recipe from allrecipies.com. It wasn't bad, quite yummy actually, just not as syrup like as I was thinking it would be. It was more like jam. Really simple to make with only three ingredients: strawberries (mashed), sugar and water.

Then, I tried Emeril's recipe from the Food Network. It has some pretty spectacular reviews, but it still wasn't what I was hoping for. It did taste different than the first (in a good way!) because there is a different ingredient than the first recipe: strawberries (diced), orange juice and zest. Again, I was hoping for a more syrup consistency.

Pictures are of Emeril's recipe only, simply because the final products are too hard to distinguish in a photo. They just taste a little different.

I wanted to try this recipe from food.com but needed to save strawberries for other recipes. And frankly, I was tired of cutting/hulling, boiling/simmering and being bummed to have two more pints of strawberry jam-like "syrup", in addition to the multiple jars of jam Grammy gave me. The photo with the food.com recipe looks more like the syrupy texture I was hoping for.

Maybe next berry picking round! Anyone have any tips or a killer syrupy, syrup recipe I could try?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...