Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Cookies & Cream Cupcakes: Halloweenified

At book club last month, I signed up to bring snacks to this month's meeting. Turns out, I double booked myself and was unable to attend October's meeting to discuss The Five People You Meet in Heaven, by Mitch Albom. I was super bummed, because I was looking forward to talking about the awesomeness that is always in Mitch Albom's books. However, I did end up sending some super fun, tasty and festive treats to the meeting with a friend.



Yup, that's a Halloween Oreo baked  into the bottom of the cupcake! I browsed through my Cupcakes board on Pinterest and realized I had pinned various versions of cookies & cream cupcakes...5 times. I obviously need to tone it down. Anywho, I got the delicious cookies and cream frosting recipe from Kristan at Confessions of a Cookbook Queen. That specific post has a pretty funny prelude to the actual recipe. Check it out.


I used a Yellow Cake Mix to bake the cupcakes, following the directions on the box. Before putting the batter in the tray, I placed one Oreo in the bottom of each decorative liner. I baked the cupcakes until just golden on the tops, where the cake is sponge-like when touched. Once cooled, I frosted them with the cookies & cream frosting. Want a lick?



Here's what you do to make a big batch of orange speckled cookies 'n cream frosting:

4 sticks salted butter, softened
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
8 cups powdered sugar
15 Halloween Oreos, crushed very finely

Beat butter, cream and vanilla on medium-low until smooth and well-combined. Slowly add powdered sugar. Once powdered sugar is barely mixed in, increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2 minutes. Fold in crushed Oreos. This will be enough if you plan on piping tall mounts of frosting on each cupcake. If you don't, I would suggest halving the recipe.


Tip: If you are wanting to pipe a super tall, bakery-esque piles of frosting onto the top of these cupcakes, just like Kristan did and I had hoped to, you must obey the line that specifies the Oreos be very finely crushed. Why, you ask? If you do not, the frosting will not be able to squeeze out of a Wilton tip because a cookie chunk will be barricading a pretty frosting swirl from settling on your beautiful cupcakes. I learned that the hard way and had to settle for spreading the frosting with a knife. Sigh.


If these had been for an actual Halloween event, I would have tried to think of a creative name for them, like Goblin Dirt Cupcakes and dyed the batter orange for a full on Halloween treat. Or maybe I would have bought one more box of Oreos so I could have crushed some up into bigger chunks into the batter to have speckled cupcakes. Next time! But, since these were for book club and I was crunched for time, this is what they got.


There were reports that these beauties were a big hit at book club, which is what this was all about anyway.  Can't wait for November's meeting!

I finally have my page of other blogs I share my posts at, as listed here. You can also always access these parties by clicking the Show & Tell tab at the top of my blog.

13 comments:

  1. Hi there! It's Madison from Crafty Critique. I just wanted to stop by and say thank you for following my blog and entering the giveaway! You have quite the blog, yourself! These are some great pictures. I can never get my pictures of food to turn out.

    Hope to see you around again soon!

    --Madison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so good! I love the Halloween Oreo...it's a little surprise at the end. I'd love if you'd share these at my weekly linky party, Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love your recipe! Would you come over to Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow and share your tasty recipe with us?
    Thanks
    I hope to see you there!
    http://ladybehindthecurtain.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth is watering for a bite!! Stop by to enter my giveaway for 100 printed postcards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look absolutely scrumptious, think I'll try to make them tomorrow for a birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look amazing! I hope you will link them up to my Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas Party.
    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute little surprise inside! Thanks so much for linking up at A Little Nosh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so festive and that frosting looks {amazing}! I'd love it if you would add this recipe (and other holiday/seasonal sweets) to the {holiday sweet swap} link party I am hosting through December 31st! Hope to see you there!

    http://shakentogether.blogspot.com/2011/09/holiday-sweet-swap-link-party-is-open.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow that looks yummy. Thank you so much sharing and for linking up to our party Show and Share this week! Come on back this Wednesday to link up your current projects.

    A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have so many great recipes that I just had to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you serious? Oreos? YUM!! Thanks for linking this up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...