Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Paradise Bakery-esque Sugar Cookies

I wouldn't necessarily say that my favorite cookie is a sugar cookie. I'm a good ol' chocolate chip kind of girl. However, if I am ever in the vicinity of a Paradise Bakery, I can't help but buy a sugar cookie. They are just scrumptious.


When this recipe floated through my Pinterest feed, I made it the same day I pinned it. Crazy, right? In my defense, it claimed to taste just like a Paradise Bakery sugar cookie. Plus, I did have a little girl who really wanted to bake cookies. Who am I to tell her no?


Here we go:

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
2 cups shortening
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg, beaten
4 1/3 cups cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Plain or colored sugar, for decorating

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium bowl, cream together sugars and shortening using an electric mixer. Mix on slow speed 30 seconds, then scrape down the bowl with a spatula. Increase speed to medium and mix for 3 minutes.

Slowly add vanilla and beaten egg while mixing.

In a separate bowl, combine cake flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, mixing on slow speed until just blended. Do not over mix.

Scoop with an ice cream scoop and roll in sugar. Place on baking sheet. Flatten slightly with palm of hand.

Bake 9 to 10 minutes.

Cookies are done when small cracks appear and are pale golden. Ideally, do not let edges brown.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.


So, since my awesome niece Addison eagerly loves to help as much as possible, I think we over mixed the dough just a smidgen. As noted, the recipe specifically says not to over mix. Dough was a little crumbly, but the cookies still tasted quite delish and I can only imagine how much better they would be if we hadn't over mixed the dough. These are especially tasty right out of the oven with a glass of milk. Just a suggestion.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, gosh. I miss Paradise Bakery. Their sugar cookies rock. These look so good! I loved their chocolate chip ones almost more than life. I'll have to try pinterest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is delicious!!!!! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you thought so! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. The best ever! I keep making them over and over. They go so fast, since everyone loves them. I added orange and lemon extract instead of vanilla one day to a couple of batches...what a delight! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...