Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Not So Pretty, Too Polka Dotty, Still Tasty Cake

I debated titling this Cake Flop #1, but that might be a little too dramatic, considering some of the catastrophic cake flops you see if you google those words. I feel though, it would also have been realistic in that, starting to number my cake flops almost inevitably means there will be more. I do appreciate when people blog about their blunders in creating, so I figured why not? I did mention in yesterday's post, the Death By Chocolate Cupcakes, I would show the 6 inch cake, so here we go.


Yes, my dots on the top might as well be the equivalent of too much glitter ruining any project. Or you know, the idea of less is more really should have been applied here. Once you start frosting, you can't really "undo" very easily. So what do you do, keep going, knowing it tastes good regardless since it wasn't for any particular special event. I did pull off this triple dot concept on the edges of this cake, it just doesn't quite go over well covering the entire top. Now I know.

On a positive note, I'm pleased with the color of the frosting. I used Wilton's Teal Icing Color. The filling inside that you can't see between the two layers of Death By Chocolate Cake, is chocolate buttercream. The white and turquoise buttercream frosting recipe is as follows:

2 cups solid vegetable shortening
2 lbs. powdered sugar (about 8 cups)
2 T meringue powder
1-2 t clear vanilla (or almond or a mix)
1/2 t salt, dissolved in flavoring
6-8 oz. heavy whipping cream

In a large bowl, cream shortening and flavoring until light and fluffy. Add meringue powder to sugar. On low speed, add sugar and cream, alternately in 3 additions. When all ingredients are blended, increase speed to high and beat for 3-4 minutes. It's ready when the consistency is like stiffly beaten whipped cream. Yield: 7 1/2 cups.

This icing is similar to bakery icing and is ideal for icing a cake or for borders. It is probably too thin for any other decorations.

Thanks for laughing along at my silly cake decorating blunder. More to come. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...