Thursday, June 16, 2011

Cake Class Cupcake Creations


Going into yesterday's cake class (third in Wilton's Decorating Basics Course), I knew I might get a little frustrated, as flowers just seemed so daunting. Turns out, it wasn't as painful as I imagined, but will definitely take some practice to get good at these, as with most things in life.

We did learn something I never realized I wanted to know how to do, until last night: the simple frosting of a cupcake to look fancy schmancy. In the cupcake decorating world, I think this is a quite normal and basic way to top a cupcake with buttercream icing and add some sprinkles, color or, in our case, flowers!


Using Wilton Tip #1M, we swirled frosting around the top of the cupcake. Wilton teaches to do it from the outside in, but our instructor had us try it both ways. I liked starting in the middle and working outward. She thinks you use a little less frosting by starting in the middle.

We learned how to make drop flowers, a shell border, pom pom flowers, rosettes and shaggy mums in addition to filling a cupcake with Tip #230. My favorite was rosettes and least favorite was drop flowers, which meant they were the hardest for me.

Turns out I could make rosettes for days. Okay, maybe not days, but I do enjoy making the little things. I think it helps that I just think they are so cute! If you want to give it a shot, but don't want to sign up for the whole class, here's a video that shows you how to make a rosette using a couple different star tips (big and small). Turns out, Wilton's YouTube Channel is loaded with frosting techniques and more. Maybe you knew that already. I'll probably spend far to many minutes watching their videos soon enough.


Next up, shaggy mums. You use Wilton Tip #233 to create this and I love that it also could also be used for making monsters fur or noodles for Hello, Cupcake's Spaghetti and Meatball cupcakes. This tip also reminds me of one of my play dough tools.


And lot of frosting later, we have pom pom flowers.


I didn't put any drop flowers on my cupcakes because I wasn't very pleased with how dissimilar my flowers looked to the picture. I'll practice this weekend.


If you've missed out on what my week one and two of Wilton's Decorating Basics Course entailed, check them out. Also, here is my 2 cents critique on Wilton cake courses for knowing before you sign up for classes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...