I'm always excited to start a new project, but in attempting my first pair of baby booties, I was more jazzed than usual. Not only do I just think itty bitty baby booties are too cute, it meant I had baby to give them to, Olivia Suzanne. I just can't get over how cute they are!
A few months ago at one of JoAnn's 99 cent Simplicity pattern sales, my sister and I stocked up on a couple of patterns, one being Simplicity 2491, which has 9 different booties in sizes XS-L. Ebay also has this pattern pretty darn cheap if you can't wait for JoAnn's to have their great sale.
I made booty C which is the one pictured in the top left hand corner. It was the easiest looking to me (or D, right hand side, middle, but I liked the folded loop). I chose to make size small because I didn't want the extra small be too small.
The fabric is also from JoAnn's and is called Woodhaven Hearts. I just love it! My favorite colors are blue and green, so I wish I could keep them for myself...however, I have no baby, which means no use for them. I'm not, however, in the slightest disappointed with the fabric I have left over :)
That being said, I have a lot of fabric left over. Do patterns (Simplicity or others) always "require" too much fabric. I'd obviously rather have too much fabric than not enough, but I had nearly four times the amount I needed.
So, here's what I'm going to do. Below, you will find a few things I would have found helpful to know before I bought fabric and made these:
1. You only need a piece of fabric that is 12x12 inches to make any size of booty C! It tells you to get 3/8 yard. You will have leftover if you buy 3/8 yard like I did.
2. I have a very old Morse sewing machine so it could completely blamed on its picky temperament, but the ribbon I used was too flimsy and would not allow for machine sewing, so it was done by hand.
3. I had extra fabric sandwich of wool, heat bond and cotton, so I cut out two green hearts to partially covered up the stitches from attaching the Velcro by fabric gluing them on top of the ribbon.
It was a little tough to get the first booty turned, but when I made the matching booty, it was much easier the second time around so I'm guessing as with most things, it will get easier and easier the more I make. What a great excuse to make more!
Be on the look out (maybe tomorrow!) for another part of the baby gift! Please feel free to ask me questions if you aren't sure about the pattern.