Monday, February 13, 2012

Lemony Buddies (Muddy Buddies Modified)

I haven't posted about Book Club the past couple months, mostly because I have been a lame member and not finished the books. Well, we took December off, so I've just missed November, which I finished after the meeting date (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society) and January (Bossypants).

February's book was The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan. I was the one who suggested this book because I really wanted to read it and had bought it at Powell's. This month, I committed the ultimate book club member faux pas by not finishing the book I recommended! The only excuse worth sharing is that I was swept away by a Costco impulse buy, the book Little Princes by Conor Grennan.

To alleviate a little bit of the guilt at our meeting, I made a modified version of the infamously addicting muddy buddies that I saw here. Essentially, the recipe swaps peanut butter and chocolate for lemon juice/zest and white chocolate to coat the Chex mix before powder sugaring the smithereens out of it all.




9 cups Chex mix (1 regular size box of cereal)
1 1/4 cup white vanilla baking chips
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2-4 tsp grated lemon peel (depends on how lemon-y you want it to taste)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 cups powdered sugar
gallon size resealable food storage plastic bag

Measure the cereal into a large bowl. Microwave chips, butter, lemon peel and juice for 1 minute. Stir. Continue to microwave for 20-30 seconds, stirring in between, until smooth. Pour mixture into bowl of cereal and stir until evenly coated. Next, pour the cereal mixture into gallon bag and add powdered sugar. I like to pour a little cereal, then sugar and repeat until it is all layered in the bag to make for a more evened coating.




It really is a tasty switch up from the traditional muddy buddy Chex mix and so easy to make too! Although, Michelle totally outdid me in the food category for book club this month with this Brownie Berry Pizza.


This post is linked up to some of the parties listed under my Show & Tell tab at the top of the page. Go check them out for more inspiration!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh yum! That sounds really delicious! I could snack on that right now! Would you consider sharing this at my party?

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2012/02/shine-on-fridays-15-and-some-fabulous.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...