Monday, September 26, 2011

Blueberry Snickerdoodle Cookies

We have so many blueberries and they needed to be eaten in some way, shape or form fast, so as not to go bad. Solution: bake something, obviously. Of course, I didn't have to look very far to find a recipe I wanted to try. Yup, my Pinterest Cookie Board. Lo and behold, I give you Snickerdoodle Blueberry Cookies.


They are super tasty and a great way to mix up traditional snickerdoodles, as well as use some antioxidant filled fruit. Makes them healthy, right?
 

Here's the recipe:

Blueberry Snickerdoodle Cookies
by Kerry of Bakergirl

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 large egg
2 heaping cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh blueberries*
1/4 cup granulated sugar & 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon for rolling cookies in

Preheat oven to 375°F.
Beat together butter, vegetable oil, granulated sugar, powdered sugar, and egg. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Slowly beat flour mixture into the butter mixture. Gently fold in the blueberries, being careful not to crush them - otherwise, you'll end up with purpleish-blue cookies.


In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup granulated sugar and cinnamon.


Shape dough into 1-inch balls, then roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place balls 3 to 4 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Kerry suggested flattening the cookies slightly with a flat-bottomed glass dipped in cinnamon-sugar. I didn't do that and I like the shape mine turned out. If you do do this, remember to be careful and not to totally crush the berries or else ... blue cookies.


Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until edges being to slightly brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cookie comes out clean. Allow to cool.



Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

*Because of the fresh berries, these cookies are best eaten within 3-4 days of making. 

Source: Adapted from Sunset, 1998. 


Look at that oozing berry! And ohhh, they are so scrumptious and unfortunately all gone.

6 comments:

  1. I have never even thought of making blueberry snickerdoodle cookies and now I wonder why. They look amazing! I am a new follower from Mushki Loves. Vicky @ www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I'm a new follower from Something Swanky and can't wait to read more of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. visiting from tatertots & there are a billion links and your yummy treat stuck right out! Looks delicous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from TT&J, and I'm totally tasting your cookie right now ;) Pinning this to my dessert board so I can try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopped over here from NSSHW and I love this idea! I never would have thought to put blueberries in snickerdoodle cookies, but this is wonderful! Can't wait to try!

    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. those look really really yummy!! thanks for linking this up to my tip-toe thru tuesday party last week! hope to see you this week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...