Friday, January 27, 2012

Pumpkin Roll Filled with Cream Cheese

I made this recipe last holiday season but completely spaced on posting it. I had two cream cheese filled pumpkin rolls pinned and decided to try this recipe to see if I could pull off such a dessert.



To start off, I have never known what a jelly roll pan is and after googling it, realized - I think - that is is a glorified cookie sheet. It has higher sides, from what I read. So, as according the the recipe's instructions, I pulled out my cookie sheet and got to mixing.

1 cup sugar
3 eggs
2/3 cup pumpkin
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line the jelly roll pan/cookie sheet with parchment paper. Mix 1 cup sugar with the 3 eggs. Then, add in the pumpkin. Next, add in all dry ingredients - baking soda, cinnamon, salt, flour. Combine thoroughly.

Spread the batter evenly onto the pan. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until cake is "springy" and bounces back when pressed with finger.

You're not done! While the roll is baking, lay a dishtowel on your counter top and cover it in powdered sugar. This may get a little messy, but once the pumpkin roll is done baking, flip onto the powdered sugar towel and immediately roll up, while it's still hot. (If you need a visual, Nicole's post of this recipe has photos.)

While the roll is setting, make your cream cheese filling by mixing the following:

2 Tbsp butter, softened
8 oz.cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar

Now, unroll the pumpkin roll and spread the cream cheese filling all around, then roll it back up. Now you should have a pretty powder sugared pumpkin roll, filled with cream cheese! Remember to keep this in the refrigerator if you need to store it for a bit.

I'd really like to make another "roll" like this, so if you've got one, pass it along please!

1 comment:

  1. Ummmmm yes please. That looks SO yummy. Anything pumpkin wins me over. And I also never knew what jelly roll pan was! Good to know it's nothing too necessary (according to me, a non-chef). :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...